Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I Feel Like Such a Fool


I feel like such a fool. I am disappointed. Beyond disappointed really. Part of me thinks I shouldn't write this post because a) I will look like a fool to everyone else, b) I should have known better. You be the judge... (all names have been omitted or changed to x's to protect all involved...well except me that is.)


I couple months ago, I got on a website to help me get contact info for celebrities. My hope of course was to send Dapper Snappers to these people and either have my product spotted on their children or at least have something from them saying how wonderful they think my product is. I still haven't sent any out...ugh. Anyway... I saw the Celebrity Gifting Opportunities and thought, Hey! This could work. I send them product and for a nominal fee I get the opportunity I'm hoping for...right?

I contacted the celebrity gifting company and got caught up in the excitement of gifting an Anonymous celebrity (no, they wouldn't tell us who it was for - just adding to the suspense) who was expecting a baby boy. I did the works with customizing and quadruple checking quality of the Dapper Snappers. I sent special packaging with it and a self addressed stamped envelope with nice blank note card so they could write back those words I longed for (I just LOVE the Dapper Snappers! Thank you so much!!! etc). And I paid the not so nominal fee of $75.00 that I really couldn't afford, but I was taking a gamble. Anyone who knows me, knows I do not gamble...ever. 

The possibilities were endless. I just didn't think about the other extreme "possibilities". So imagine my disappointment today when I finally got my note back, and it was signed by some guy I'd never heard of. I looked him up and he's one step above an extra. He's not even a B-list celebrity. I feel cheated, misled, and stupid. 

What was I thinking? I won't put a quarter in a slot machine, but I give this company $75? 

I decided to write an email. I haven't sent this email yet and am not sure it would even do any good. When I started the email, I was very angry. I rewrote it until I came across as more sensible and understandably upset. Hubby said it sounds like I'm acting as an upset mom and not a business. I'm not sure it matters. They didn't make any promises other than I was guaranteed a response. I have no legal recourse. All I can do is be angry. 

Here's the email. Again, name's protected, etc. 
------------------------
Mxxxxxx,

I received the reply today. Who is Sxxxx Txxx? I thought all the secrecy was because it was an A list celebrity. I can't use his autograph for anything. I basically wasted $75 and product for this note back to me:

Toddler Tech,
Thank you for your lovely gift.
All the best.
Cheers.
Scribbled autograph

That is unacceptable. I, like other product-based businesses that gift celebrities, had hopes that Dapper Snappers would be given to someone well-known, and that maybe someday their child would be spotted wearing a Dapper Snapper, thus promoting my brand, and of course all the wonderful success that follows a product spotting. I also had hoped for a better response (something I could use immediately on my press page) than "Thank you for your lovely gift." It doesn't even mention what I gave him. I am so disappointed.

No one knows who he is. I can't even find any information about his family, or any new baby boy. Your service has done nothing for me but waste my money. I feel like such a fool.

Needless to say, I won't be doing business with your company again.
 
Sincerely,

Michelle
------------------------

So I am a fool. It was a dumb thing to do. I am going to go kick myself for a while. And maybe pout a bit. Yeah...pouting sounds good. Sigh...

1 comments:

Anna the Rattatious Grandma

Your hubby is right. First you need to wait at least 24 hours to let your anger boil down a bit. Second, you need to not reply until you can do it as a business owner. I have made the same mistake of taking things too personal. The business is part of you and sometimes it is hard to separate the two but you should really find a way to de-personalize this before you reply.

Then after you have sent your email, if you don't get at least an apology...then post their names so that no other new business owners fall for these peoples trick.

I know this advice is not going to be easy to take. I know that because I have had to take it a time or two myself and it wasn't easy for me either, but it did help.